subtitle

Endurance....

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Oh Southern High...

Went into work today only to discover that the principal was ousted. Poor guy, he is off island for a conference for a few weeks and loses his job while he is gone. They are blaming his not having reported the recent violence that made it to the ear of the Speaker of the House- there was a video of a beating that occurred at Southern on YouTube. The whole staff of Southern was shown it the other day- I heard a teacher behind me say "thats not the worst fight I have seen".
Seriously, right now I have a student who won't come back to school because she was threatened, and another gone permanently after being hospitalized from a fight. Apparently there was a boy beaten to death in the not so distant past-really so sad. The fights are not unusual- its just that this YouTube one went political so someone has to take the fall. Of course that is not even addressing the breaking into classrooms, starting of fires in the halls that goes on.....oy.

Its all such a shame- it seems to be the minority messing it up for the majority of students who are just trying to get an education. I am really hopeful for Southern making it into the papers for something positive- maybe the new acting principal has a plan? You never know.

3 comments:

  1. Are you sure our grandkid's mother is safe at school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure this has been addressed at inner city schools all over the world. There MUST be a formula for a stop to it. I think I have seen some movies with this plot! I sure wouldn't want to work there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me Chris....you and I worked DYA here on Guam....you remember how it is.....

    ReplyDelete