subtitle

Endurance....

Saturday, February 20, 2010

No Caribou?

Not caribou as in elk-like guys in North America- caribou, as in a Guam native water buffalo type thing, pronounced car-eb-ow.

So I have been dying to get a picture of one for you guys. There are some you see on island that are domesticated and frankly it makes me sad to see. They use them mostly for profit, giving caribou rides. I didn't want a picture of the owned ones.
There is a whole herd of them on the Naval Magazine here, but the area is restricted- so I have been waiting for a time when Kevin had to go there. My patience paid off this past Friday. He had to go for a work related thing. I sent him camera in hand hoping for some great shots. Kevin came home photo free. He said he saw plenty of poop but no caribou.
I will post here for you a picture of one:
But it just isn't the same as seeing them out in the wild- I will do my best to get a picture at some point for you.

Something fun they have here- statues of the caribou brightly painted all over the island. Similar to the Buffalo ones up in our neck of the woods.
I didn't say they were well painted, just brightly so.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating,,,can you find a bigga suitcase,,,we need one for the Grands, Gram would love a painted one.Hope you are enjoying the Olympics,Some very late nights here for the live action. Gramps loves the curling.

    ReplyDelete