subtitle

Endurance....

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Feelin' the love...

Life is still cruising along this week and its almost Friday!....I better be quiet, I don't want to jinx it.

School is still going well. Ellie won the "my dog is best" essay contest in her class. Of course since it was about our Aggie (the one with nine lives) she really couldn't lose. Madison has officially put in her sample for the "drug free is the key" poster contest....hopes are high. She has discovered that she actually does like the cafeteria food after all. She tried chicken adobo with red rice (local dish) this week and didn't find it too bad. Tomorrow is ham and cheese pizza day- now she and Ellie have both tried this one, neither coming out with a positive opinion but it couldn't be too heinous as they are going in for a second time of it....I'll let you know the final vote. I don't mind making their lunches, but there is something magical about the mornings when I don't have to....its a small thing, but one less thing is a good thing in my books.

My first year nursing students are starting to present their culture projects tomorrow....I think it will be interesting. They each had to pick a culture, outline it according to various headings and also come in with one "wow" factor about their culture- something that will make the class oooh and aaah. Of course two different students chose Canadian- I offered 5% extra if they research and sing the Canadian national anthem. My one student said "Miss, its not worth it for that- offer me 10%". I think she has a future in negotiations.
My second year nursing students had clinicals this past Wednesday. They were to make up a diagnosis for an elderly client, create a nursing care plan and then act it out with a partner who would play the part of the nurse. It all went well, everyone acted their role. I am not sure how it started, but next thing I knew all of their individual role playing converged into one big hospital soap opera- there was paternity testing, long lost aunts dating ex-boyfriends, car accidents resulting in paraplegia...security was called in quite often. They loved taking it the extra mile. There is talk of play writing and continuing the drama on all of their clinical days- can't wait to see where that goes.

Sorry about yesterday to everyone who looks here daily for a posting- our internet was down. I would like to think it was an isolated incident, but since this isn't the first time its been spontaneously down, I am doubting it will be the last.

3 comments:

  1. Fascinating reading Sam...Would like to hear more about the school...just thought it was a high school prep course for Community College,,,whats the scoop?? Its Thanksgiving weekend and you are missing the joy? of stuffin the bird and baking pumpkin pies.Got busy today with Gregs Choc chip cookies,,,expect them for a feeding one day this weekend...and of course gram needs the stuffing and cranberry sauce so its into the kitchen I go.....have a wonderful weekend all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture! Makes me want to have a second child! Hey, I just started Geocaching. I see there is a "cache" near the dog memorial! Do you have a GPS? You can play the game too! www.geocaching.com
    I just placed my first cache today!

    ReplyDelete