subtitle

Endurance....

Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Big Event

Below are some photos of the 1000 pounder we were dealing with this week. Everything went very smooth, from the base evacuation (over 2000 people were affected), to the EOD render safe procedures (Hooya!), to the transport and disposal of the bomb up at the Naval Magazine. Hopefully we won't have to do this again while I'm here.

This is the day the UXO was found. The EOD Team on Guam was discussing the tail fuse hazards with me.

Good cut-a-way diagram of the actual bomb. Turns out this one had no nose fuse installed, which may the day go a bit faster.

The digging of trenches and piles of dirt you see below were done just in case the bomb high-ordered (detonated) . These precautions would help lesson the affects somewhat.
Another beautiful Guam sunset behind the berm (the bomb is on the other side).

I hope to get some photos of the disposal in the next couple of days. I forgot the camera, so I'm relying on others to forward them to me.

4 comments:

  1. Cliff Sabo is a good friend. His Dad and Kurt were deployed together on the GW at our first Mobile Unit. Crazy to think little Cliff had a hand in this. Hooyah EOD!

    Nothing like a little excitement to keep you on your toes!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun times -OOG!
    Gosh.....I am sure the boys would love all the excitement, but I am glad I am missing it. I hope things are calm and flowing when we arrive.....kinda like to have Mike around if possible for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, both Cliff and his dad are here in Guam. Cliff's at the Det, his dad is a contractor and works safety programs at the wastewater treatment plan on base. I saw them both Saturday night during a little "post-blast" celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I knew Joe was over there as well but didn't know he got to "assist". Looks like a Blast -- pardon the pun. Great folks!

    ReplyDelete